Wanting to update your interior without spending a lot or doing a complete overhaul? There are several things you can do to spruce up a room without needing an intensive overhaul, all involving your walls. Here are the top five interior decorating designs we recommend here at Blair Stover Interior Designs.
1. Paint: Whether an accent wall, brightened up walls, or a painted design, paint can add color or tone down existing colors with the right application. A little bit of paint can be applied not just on the walls, however. If you have old furniture, painting it a new color can add that fresh of breath air you’re looking for. Or try adding a painting or two to create interest.
2. Lighting: Mood lighting can evoke any number of emotions. Try toning down the lights for a more intimate environment, or adding more light to brighten a place up. Also experiment with light fixtures. Vintage lamps can add character and class, while modern fixtures can give your room a sleek feel.
3. Mirrors: Mirrors are unusual in wall décor, especially when used in nontraditional ways. Try arranging your own mirrors into a unique pattern, or finding unique fixtures that can be accented with mirrors. In many ways, mirrors are useful as well, giving you and guests a chance to make sure you look great before headed out.
4. Shelving: Bookshelves, cabinets, and shelving can provide extra space as well as break up loud accent walls. You can also coordinate décor on the shelves to match or contrast the rest of the theme of your room.
5. Wall Décor: An oldie but a goodie, adorning the walls with unique décor can be fun and add several elements of interest to your rooms. Metal blocks can be fun and unique, and can add an element that not many would have thought of. Clocks can also come in unique shapes and act as décor as well. If you’re looking for a bit more traditional, pictures and paintings are also good options.